SPARKcon IS THE TRIANGLE'S CREATIVITY FESTIVAL! IT USES AN OPEN-SOURCE PLANNING PROCESS SO THAT EVERYONE CAN JOIN THE PARTY AND SHOWCASE THEIR UNIQUE TALENTS!
It’s an open-source, “FOR THE COMMUNITY, BY THE COMMUNITY” approach with an intentionally dynamic focus.
Each year, SPARKcon features more than 2,000 artists in 200+ events. Each segment of the creative community plans their own “SPARKs” to showcase their talent. SPARKcon’s goal is to connect and educate emerging, creative leaders through training, interdisciplinary collaboration, and an open source structure leading to the creation of a unique four-day creativity explosion in Downtown Raleigh. Each category, or group of activities, is called a “SPARK” (musicSPARK, fashionSPARK, etc.) and is organized by volunteers who create programming that best represents their art form, whether a performance, an exhibition, showcase. or interactive digital game. This open source leadership structure allows any organizer, talent or audience member to create and add value to the experience in their own way.
SPARKcon HAS SUCCESSFULLY:
- Trained and empowered 680 + SPARKcon organizers to become new community leaders and entrepreneurs.
- Launched artist-run businesses, like Imagine Circus and Cirque de Vol Studios.
- Showcased performances by and exhibited the work of more than 12,000 creative individuals.
- Featured thousands of Wake County Students as artists and sent artists into 25+ schools.
- Increased awareness, support and appreciation for creative talent in the Triangle.
- Facilitated city design sessions to envision a new concept of an artistic centerpiece for Raleigh and helped design City Plaza to become a “flexible platform” for future artists.
- Worked with citizens to envision a “Raleigh 360” vision of supporting local businesses and talent, eventually informing such efforts as Shop Local Raleigh.
- Represented an innovative framework for a national model of grassroots revitalization in venues across the country - including major efforts in Memphis and New Orleans.
RED HAT OPEN SOURCE STORIES: SPARKcon
A HUGE thanks to Red Hat Open Source Stories for helping us tell SPARKcon's story!
THANK YOU TO OUR FOUNDERS
SPARKcon was founded in 2006 by Beth and Aly Khalifa and Designbox to showcase, celebrate, and influence the creative momentum of the Triangle region of North Carolina. SPARKcon could not exist today without their innovative thinking, commitment to our community, and work ethic.
SPARKcon has made a commitment to reducing waste sent to the landfill during our festival. CompostNow is helping with these efforts! We love to gather large crowds together and share a meal, but it's important to protect the environment that we all call home. By partnering with CompostNow, SPARKcon is joining a community that diverts more than 1/3 of their waste from the landfill.
Donate to SPARKcon
Questions? Ideas? Get in touch with us!