Watch over 700 street painters cover two and a half city blocks of SPARKcon's footprint with chalk and illustrious murals that will make you go bananas!
Street painting will take place on:
+ E Martin St
+ W Martin St
+ E Davie St
+ W Davie St
+ 300 Block of Fayetteville St
WANT TO JOIN IN?
Two ways to share the street painting joy:
1. An open chalk area is located on W Martin Street and we encourage anyone to join us in making a creative community mural!
2. Artist Jose Cruz will lead a free street painting workshop on Saturday from 11am-2pm!
FOR STREET PAINTERS:
Please read all of the RULES & REGULATIONS carefully!
•ARTIST CHECK-IN: Friday, September 15th, 3pm-6pm & Saturday, September 16th 8am-10am --Artists must be checked in by 10am on Saturday or else VAE reserves the right to give away your squares without a refund.
•JURYING will begin at 5pm on Saturday, September 16th.
• All artwork must be original (no direct copies). There is NO THEME for any categories!
• NO STENCILS of any kind may be used.
• NO LOGOS or ADVERTISING.
•Artwork may not extend beyond the boundaries of your pre-assigned canvas size. Exceptions will not be considered for judging. When using tape, remember to tape INSIDE your square.
•NO TENTS, TARPS or UMBRELLAS may be placed over squares to provide shade during the festival. However, we do highly encourage artists to cover their artwork at night with a plastic tablecloth, sheet, etc. This cover must be removed prior to 10am Saturday morning. VAE is not responsible for any coverings that are removed by staff after 10am. Artists are allowed to bring flashlights or battery powered lanterns to use on Friday evening.
•DO NOT USE ROCKS from the city planters to hold down items or coverings.
•DO NOT BLOW OR FAN CHALK DUST. Please respect the painters who are working near you. Do not walk on paintings, blow or brush dust, have open beverage containers, etc. Small vacuums or dustbusters are permitted for removing excess chalk dust.
•DO NOT REMOVE CHAIRS / FIXTURES from the local businesses for your own use. They are there for the use of their customers.
•Since the aisles are crowded & we are using a filmstrip format, keep your supplies and belongings to a minimum and well contained.
• ARTISTS MAY NOT PAINT ON CHALK (crush, water down and apply with brush). You may use brushes for blending. Exceptions will not be considered for judging.
•NO PERMANENT FIXATIVES, WORKABLE FIXATIVES, OR HAIRSPRAY of any kind may be used on the chalk drawings. This is an automatic disqualification from judging.
• Please keep music volume at a reasonable level. Please respect your fellow street painters, festival goers, & the many performers who will be performing throughout the festival.
•NO SMOKING IN THE CHALKING AREAS.
• If you need more chalk in particular colors, exchange colors with other street painters or at the Chalk Swap.
Note: If you are planning on using a lot of one or more colors i.e. white, yellow, black, please be sure to bring your own additional chalk. Chalk Swap will be open from 4pm-6pm on Friday & 9am-5pm on Saturday.
•THERE IS A SINK on site for clean-up. Bring a towel that you can use for clean-up.
DO NOT WASH YOUR HANDS IN BUSINESSES’ BATHROOMS.
• Portalets are available to artists and festival attendees
• Volunteers will be scattered throughout the festival and at the registration booth and information booth.
IT IS AT THE DISCRETION OF VISUAL ART EXCHANGE TO DISQUALIFY ANYONE FOR NOT ABIDING BY ABOVE STATED RULES.
· Filmstrip format means squares will be touching on both sides, but not top & bottom
· Request for an end spot will not be considered unless a team member requires physical assistance or accommodations.
· Even though squares will be laid out in filmstrip style, each square will be judged individually!
· Additional squares CANNOT be added. Please keep in mind that even though there may be space near your square or on the street somewhere where a square would fit, does not mean we can place one there. This is a frequently asked question, “Can we just draw one in? I know it will fit”. Although we would love to fill every space we can, we have to follow accessibility guidelines of our permits and the fire code.